Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Assault Part II

It felt good to write that down. I feel like I accomplished something. Besides my report for the SRO, I haven't written anything describing what happened. I think I'm ready to write the rest of the story. 


After I wrote my report for the SRO, I went straight to the nurse to document injuries in case something came up later. She asked me what happened, why I needed to fill out the injury report. When I told her, she told me to fill out the report, and gave me the phone number of a workmen's compensation doctor who works with our district. 


When I called, they said that they couldn't take me until the next week. So, I made an appointment and told the nurse when the appointment was. She gave me a look and then got on the phone with the workmen's comp director. My school nurse, who is from the South, told the director that I needed a doctor TODAY and she needed to call the doctor's office and tell them that I needed to be seen. 


And that's how I got my doctor's appointment squared away. 


I stopped in the school office on my way out to the doctor's. At that point, D's mom called the school and asked to talk to me. She wanted to know what had happened and if I was ok. I told her what happened and that I did need to go see a doctor. She apologized and then asked if D was there in the office. I told her that no, he wasn't here, but people were out looking for him (the SRO). 


While on the phone with her, the school secretary got a phone call from D's neighbor, saying that he as with him. The neighbor is a retired high school teacher at our local high school. Apparently when D left my school, he headed right to his next door neighbor's house and told him what happened. The neighbor told D that he needed to do the right thing and turn himself in and give me my keys back. He even offered to drive D to school. 


At the end of the conversation with D's mom, D came in with his neighbor and our SRO. He was escorted immediately back to an administrator's office after he gave me my keys back. That was the very last time I saw D. 


I remember that right before I left the school, our book keeper asked if I needed a ride to the doctor's. My mind was still in shock that I was actually assaulted. It didn't make sense in my head still and I couldn't really understand why people were so in awe that it happened. So, I said no thank you.


On my way to the doctor's I called Alex and as soon as I told him where I was going, it hit me. Tears wouldn't stop coming, I was hyperventilating and becoming hysterical. I was not able to form complete sentences. All Alex asked me was for the address of the doctor's that I was going to and that he was on his way. Despite being hysterical, I remember thinking, "How's he going to get here? I have the car..."


I got to the doctor's. All the regular appointments were full. They asked me if I wanted to come back in two days, or wait until all the appointments were over. I said wait- they were soooo not happy about that. 


So, I waited for nearly two hours. The entire time I was texting Alex and my mom. My mom was completely freaked out and was calling Alex for more information. Alex had gotten a ride from our friends Kristin and Vince. 


Finally, everyone left and I got escorted into the waiting room. The doctor asked me to describe what happened. This was the first time I had to verbally describe what happened.


It was so incredibly hard to do. 


I couldn't stop crying.


Halfway through my story, Alex came in the room. He had made me tea before they left and brought it with for me. He came in the room and just sat next to me, holding my hand. 


When I was done telling what happened, the doctor checked over my injuries. Large deep bruises all over my back, shoulders, wrists, elbow, and even my knees. (Later we would find out a concussion, bone bruising, and nerve damage to my right elbow.)


He gave me one day off of work for emotional reasons, not physical. 


As soon as I left the examination room, I could tell my behavior changed. I think I was overly determined to end the day positively. Vince and Kristin were waiting for us in the lobby. I hadn't eaten and neither had they. I was the one that suggested we grab some food. Vince, Kristin, and Alex asked if I was sure that that's what I wanted to do. I kept saying, yes, it was. They kept asking. 


So we went to Village Inn for pancakes. Looking back, it was an incredibly stupid idea.


On the way there, I talked to my mom and had to tell her the whole story. I talked to my dad who was at work and had to tell him the whole story. 


After we ate, Alex and I came back home and I had him take pictures of my injuries. 


I didn't sleep that night.


I am in pain and distress; may your salvation, O LORD, protect me.
Psalm 69:29

No comments:

Post a Comment