Monday, June 18, 2012

The Assault Part I

I think it's time I actually sat down and wrote out what happened. So, that's what I'm going to do.


It was Wednesday, February 8, a late start day. For some reason, I remember the beginning of the day just as clearly as the afternoon. Everything in between is gone. That morning, I remember thinking that I looked pretty good in my skinny jeans, black boots, and grey sweater. I loved that sweater. 


About an hour before school started I was in the office talking to our school secretary and my para and watching a youtube video. D came in the office. We told him that he could be in the cafeteria eating breakfast or he could wait outside. He said he didn't want to eat and that he had already walked three laps around the school. He had his cd player with him and was listening to music. I remember he said that him not being allowed in the office at that time was 'gay' and 'dumb' and then leaving.


For being so early to school, he walked in late to first hour. 


It was just D and H at school that day. DG was home sick and M was suspended because the day before she attacked the SRO.


I had an IEP meeting that day and during the hour I had that meeting, our school psych was doing a group lesson. It's hard to do group with only two kids, so she decided that they could all play games. 


When walking back from escorting the parents from the IEP meeting out, the school psych met me down the hallway and walked with me back to my room. She said that the boys ended up just throwing cards at each other, not playing the game, so they had to clean up the cards. Somehow, D had gotten a hold of a couple rubber bands. In the midst of throwing cards, D shot a rubber band and hit my para in her neck. 


My para said that that is referral worthy, shooting someone in the neck with a rubber band, and that he needed to go down to the office. He said, forget it and that he'll sit in his desk listening to his cd player and not go to the office. The para said that she could just call for an administrator to come get him. He said that he would just leave and not take the consequence. Apparently the whole time, he was messing with his cd player, not helping pick up cards, and was using inappropriate language to her. 


So she took the cd player away and put it in my office, which was locked.


At that moment, I walked in my room and placed everything on my desk, including my keys.


Right away, he started bargaining with me to get his cd player back. Bargaining didn't work, so began to tell me what to do. 


It didn't work so he took matters into his own hand. 


He grabbed the keys from my desk and began to jam the keys into the lock to the office, trying to figure out which one would fit. 


Right away I went to the other side of him and told him that he wasn't going to get it back if he did that. He could get into big trouble. He actually gave me the keys back and then kept asking for the cd player back. 


At that point, I think I said no, he would not be getting it back due to his behavior and not because of shooting a rubber band at the para. By now, our school psych had walked in the room and was standing on the other side of him.


I asked him to sit down in his seat. He would get his cd player back at the end of the day.


He said no, he was getting his stuff. 


The keys were yanked out of my hand, and he resumed trying to figure out which key went into that lock.


I placed my hand on his hand and told him that he knew what he was doing wasn't right.


My hand was shoved off.


I placed my hand on his arm again and this time moved my body a bit in front of his, trying to ground him, making him recognize how far this situation had come.


I was shoved away.


I put both my hands on top of his and moved my body a bit more between him and the door, still telling him that this situation has gone far enough and he needed to back away.


I became the hockey player that is between the plexiglass wall and another hockey player. 


His shoulder connected with my body over and over again. He was at a 90 degree angle to the door and me. I was flush against the wall with both my hands on his, he still trying to open the door. Several times, he kneed me in the groin. I know my head hit the door several times. The school psych was on the other side of him, trying to get his other arm in control. I still got 95% of his aggression. 


It lasted maybe five minutes.


The first time he grabbed my keys off my desk, my para grabbed a radio and went in search of an administrator. When an administrator finally walked in, I said that an administrator was here. Immediately, he stopped, walked over to the garbage can, dry heaved, and then walked out of the school still with my school keys.


After it happened, I was so calm. My shoulder and head hurt, and my school keys with a master to the school was gone- those were my biggest issues. I wrote my report and gave it to the SRO who told me that I was pressing charges, that he wasn't giving me a choice. I really didn't understand at the moment why I would need to press charges. It didn't occur to me that it was an assault.


That's all I'm going to say about this for now. Perhaps more about it later. I did eventually get my school keys back. My sweater was ruined. 


I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me. 
When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; 
at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted.
Psalm 77:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment