Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Fake Hearing

Yesterday I talked to W. She told me about the different outcomes that could happen after the pre-trial. It was interesting hearing all of the different things that could happen. I left with the instructions to weigh wether or not I would want to be at the hearing. 


I just got a letter from the D.A. saying that the pre-trial is set for July 10. I don't get home from vacation until July 11. Earlier when Alex and I set our vacation, I called the detective and the victim's advocate to let them know what days I would not be in the area. They both said that it wouldn't be a problem, that the hearings would be when I'm available. 


Anxiety. Increased heart rate. Pounding headache. I was so upset when I got this letter.


You see, I thought it was the first of the court hearings. Shouldn't I at least have the option to go?


I ended up calling the victim's advocate assigned to me and flipped out at her. She explained to me that this pre-trial conference is more for the delinquent. This is for the advocate or guarding of the perpetrator to be notified of the charges and pending trial. They are also asked if they need a public defender and are explained the process of how to apply for one. The victim's advocate lady told me that this letter is just informing me of the progress of the trail. I do not need to be there. It really has nothing to do with the case, more specifically, me.


Relief. Embarrassment that I flipped out over pretty much nothing. Pounding headache. 


God totally has my back. I wasn't ready yet to make a decision about whether or not I would go to the hearings. I bet I could if I had to at that moment, but it wouldn't be a well thought out decision. It would be quite rash and knowing me, I would probably regret it later. But I didn't need to make a decision just then. God knew I wasn't ready yet. 


Sometimes it's hard to remember that God is involved in our human judicial system, just as much as He is involved in our regular daily lives. 


So, I still have time to mull over whether or not Alex and I will be at the regular hearings. But, I will save that for a later day. 


The victim's advocate also told me that D was picked up. The warrant for his arrest caught up to him. He was picked up and is being held in a therapeutic residential center- he may not go home. I'm glad he was picked up. Who knows what he was doing or what was happening to him on the streets. 


For the LORD is righteous, He loves justice; the upright will see His face.
Psalm 11:7

No comments:

Post a Comment