Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Personal Vaca- Part 2

Monday was my favorite part of being on vacation in the area I grew up. I went up to Rockford to visit Harlem High School, where I worked before Alex and I married. 
There was not much about this job that I didn't like. 
The students were fantastic. They were the kind of students that find you on Facebook, ask when you're coming back in the area, and when they see that you are coming back soon, ask if they can meet up to chat for a bit!
Yes, Mike is very tall. Lauren and I are also on the shorter side.
Lauren was another teacher at Harlem. She has been a step ahead of me in the stages of life. Her husband is a pastor and she had to move locations for him as well. They have a beautiful baby girl now.
When we worked together, we often found ourselves dressing alike!
I was able to see two of my favorite people while there. Karin went to Hope College with Alex and I. 
School is so lonely without her!
My other favorite person at school was Heidi. She was my mentor while at Harlem. 
Both she and Lauren made work so much fun! 
While there, I realized what a great work environment Harlem was. Administration was supportive, teachers were awesome, and the students (although some were strange) were great. I was offered my job back while there. 
On my way home I stopped by my other grandparents. I lived at their house during the week while working at Harlem. And they loved it!
My Grandpa would always give a 'lesson' in politics, school, government, religion, neighborhood policies, hunting, etc. Anything he recently learned, read, or heard about that day was the conversation topic during dinner. Usually at some point during this mostly one-sided conversation, I would look over at Grandma and she would be rolling her eyes.
Grandma hears all the speeches Grandpa gives all the time, and usually she was glad that Grandpa had someone else to talk to. Grandma and I would talk about crafts and school and different things that would go on. When Alex and I were engaged, I would show her the registry and she got just as excited as I did when someone would buy us something! 

Overall, it was a fantastic day and I would definitely repeat it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great trip home! Even though we didn't get to see you, it appears you got a lot done! Hopefully we'll see you soon, or at least Skype soon!

    ReplyDelete