First quarter at school came and went! We had our first graduation. Because this is the alternative school, we have four graduations a year. Some kids only need a quarter credit to graduate. My principal's philosophy is that students are more likely to graduate if they do what is required, and not do an entire semester to get that credit. It's a pretty smart idea.
This quarter, we had two kids graduate. I had both; one was in my study hall class and the other in my eighth hour reading and writing class. It was a pretty emotional ceremony, and apparently, that one was pretty mild compared to others have have happened.
Because graduation was in the afternoon, we had to find something for the kids to do during the morning. As this was my first quarter in this school, I had them fill out a survey for the class. There was only one question about me. Some of the responses were pretty funny. Here are some of them:
1. What was the amount of effort you put into this class?
-I never come, so why should I put any effort into this.
-None
2. Overall, how do you think you performed in this class?
-I performed good in not talking, but I didn't try my hardest.
3. What is something you learned in this class?
-I learned that Mrs. Stack can turn very red.
4. What is something you liked or enjoyed about this class?
-We always had everyone involved in our conversations.
-Nothing. I hate how you always bug me for drawing.
-Seeing Mrs. Stack's wonderful face.
-I liked how you did not give up on us.
-Something I enjoyed was getting Mrs. Stack mad.
5. What is something you would want to change about this class?
-Something I want to change is the prepositions. I don't like them.
-The seating arrangement.
-The temperature of the room.
-Let me sit by Josuee.
-Let me sit by Miguel.
6. Any advice for me, your teacher, for this class?
-Keep doing the same in your classes. You're a good teacher.
-Teach more grammar! I want to learn about hyphens and who/whom.
-Have a coffee machine in here for us on Mondays. Also, bring donuts.
-Stay tropical.
-Don't give me a bad grade.
-No speeches! Just scratch that out of your little plan book!
-Keep calm and carry on, Miss!
-Give more homework!
-It's hard to give advice to a teacher who does her job well.
-Be tougher! You're too nice to some kids!
-You're too mean.
7. Any advice for a student taking this course next quarter?
-Miss a day and you'll miss a thousand words. lol
- Don't.
-Don't talk or you'll never sit by your friend again.
-Don't piss off Mrs. Stack!
-Always do what she tells you to do. Don't make her mad- it's a bad idea!
Here's my favorite comment sheet
I thought I did a good job of not letting the kids see that I was getting frustrated with them, and that I was much more lenient than the rest of the teachers in the building. According to my principal, I'm right and the kids are trying to see how much they can get away with. There's always that part of me that doubts whether or not I am too mean! I'm excited to see what they say next quarter!

No comments:
Post a Comment