Perhaps another title for this post could be:
The "I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's saving my life." Post
I really enjoy watching basketball even though I've never been good at it.
Let's rephrase that to: I really enjoy watching Space Jam.

I really enjoy watching basketball even though I've never been good at it.
Let's rephrase that to: I really enjoy watching Space Jam.

Someone must have heard that I am a 'big' basketball fan, because I was asked to help coach the high school girl's basketball teams. I was placed in charge of JV. The head coach introduced me to the girls as 'Dr. J.'
(Side note- I do crosswalk after school and there are two girls who consistently call me Dr. J even after I told them they didn't need to call me that. I get strange looks by the other kids.)
A big point of this story is that I, who doesn't know anything about basketball, ended up coaching JV girls who also know nothing about basketball.
We haven't won a single game.
We've come close, but ended up short each time.
Regardless, I've had a lot of fun with the girls and we're learning together. With everything that goes on in my classroom, it's been great to have an outlet for myself. I mean knitting is a great outlet (chortle chortle), but it's a pretty lonely activity. Basketball is making me be social.
And it's become a major blessing to them and myself.
Just before Christmas break, two of the girls separately came and told me of some major issues happening in their house. I made sure they knew that they would regularly be in my prayers and that if they needed anything, to please call or text at anytime. I would regularly check in on them too to see how they were coping and to chat with them.
I'm glad to report that things are turning around for these two particular girls.
One of those two girls surprised me last week. Since coming back from Christmas break, school has been particularly difficult, not in a 'what do I teach now?' kind of way, but a 'how do I keep myself safe in this situation?'. I had talked with my mom who gave me wise advice (as always) and was struggling with a major decision I had to make. I was standing in the hallway trying to pull myself together when this particular girl walked out of my classroom to get ready for practice. She saw me and asked if everything was ok. I told her no, it wasn't, but I couldn't explain what was going on because it dealt with school.
She gave me a hug and said, "Ms, I'll be praying for you just like you have been praying for me. And I know my prayers will work because yours did for me."
Nearly burst into tears after that.
I can honestly say that I am thankful for Space Jam and high school girls.
(Side note- I do crosswalk after school and there are two girls who consistently call me Dr. J even after I told them they didn't need to call me that. I get strange looks by the other kids.)
A big point of this story is that I, who doesn't know anything about basketball, ended up coaching JV girls who also know nothing about basketball.
We haven't won a single game.
We've come close, but ended up short each time.
Regardless, I've had a lot of fun with the girls and we're learning together. With everything that goes on in my classroom, it's been great to have an outlet for myself. I mean knitting is a great outlet (chortle chortle), but it's a pretty lonely activity. Basketball is making me be social.
And it's become a major blessing to them and myself.
Just before Christmas break, two of the girls separately came and told me of some major issues happening in their house. I made sure they knew that they would regularly be in my prayers and that if they needed anything, to please call or text at anytime. I would regularly check in on them too to see how they were coping and to chat with them.
I'm glad to report that things are turning around for these two particular girls.
One of those two girls surprised me last week. Since coming back from Christmas break, school has been particularly difficult, not in a 'what do I teach now?' kind of way, but a 'how do I keep myself safe in this situation?'. I had talked with my mom who gave me wise advice (as always) and was struggling with a major decision I had to make. I was standing in the hallway trying to pull myself together when this particular girl walked out of my classroom to get ready for practice. She saw me and asked if everything was ok. I told her no, it wasn't, but I couldn't explain what was going on because it dealt with school.
She gave me a hug and said, "Ms, I'll be praying for you just like you have been praying for me. And I know my prayers will work because yours did for me."
Nearly burst into tears after that.
I can honestly say that I am thankful for Space Jam and high school girls.

No comments:
Post a Comment